Thursday, November 13, 2008

gettin' real

Such a busy month. Photo sessions are picking up and we've had lots of school events lately. J's been working non-stop, too. I can already feel Christmas season sneaking up on me. I joined a gym that had kid care so I could return to a regular excercise program, but "things" keep getting in the way of that intention.

I feel like priorities are getting shuffled and it's starting to wear me out.

I got the best email today from Lifeway. Talk about divine timing. I thought I'd share some of it with my internets.

Let’s “Get Real” about motivation.
Realize the truth.
Eliminate excuses.
Ask for accountability.
Live with a plan.

Realize the truth. Motivation is not a constant feeling. It ebbs and flows like ocean tides. Sometimes you are pumped up, excited and really want to go workout. You are progressing toward a goal and seeing obvious success. Other times you see your workout as an obligation and dread the work that it will be. Progress may be slow. There is no desire to push or challenge yourself and you are tired before you even start. You can’t only rely on your motivation level or desire to decide whether or not you will keep your exercise commitment. Explore other motivational tools to keep you on track when your “want to” doesn’t want to.

Eliminate excuses. “I’m just too busy today.” “I don’t feel like it.” “I’m not losing weight like I thought so what’s the point.” “It’s too cold (or wet, or hot, or dark.)” Any of these thoughts and many others are common signs that motivation is low. If you have these thoughts, acknowledge them and then choose to exercise anyway. You then experience the satisfaction of completing your commitment to yourself and enjoy the benefits of more energy, a clearer mind, and a stronger, fitter body.

Ask for accountability. When motivation is low accountability is your best resource for staying on track. Accountability can come in several forms. Meet a friend at the gym or park for a walk. Hire a personal trainer and keep scheduled appointments to exercise. Tell a family member or friends that you will be exercising and then share your experience with them afterwards.

Live with a plan. If you have your exercise plan already established, (number of days a week, amount of time each session, and what activity you will do) then work your plan even when you don’t want to. If you don’t have an exercise plan in place so you flounder each time to begin to exercise, then motivation is very challenging to continue. You are, most likely, very frustrated and see little point or personal benefits from exercise. It’s been said, “When you fail to plan you plan to fail.”


I met with my personal trainer on Monday. She's wonderful and I really enjoyed her help. I can't wait to work with her again....when I can find the time...sigh.

2 comments:

jeannemae said...

That's awesome! I can't find a gym that has child care that's less than 30 minutes out of my way. Good luck!!!

Sarah, Will, Sloane and Clay said...

I was going to blow off my walk today but you inspired me.

Thanks, Alex!!