Monday, July 14, 2008

fruits of our labor

I am no pioneer woman. I enjoy online shopping, cable tv, my SUV, cell phone and all the conveniences that come from my middle class life. Probably the only thing I have in common with my colonial counterparts is the amount of wild game in my freezer and on my wall.

So in an effort to combine family bonding with budget living, I decided that we would head out this weekend to pick wild grapes to make into jelly. We woke up bright and early and drove south to search the oaks for some Mustang grapes.

Photobucket

It was not what I expected.

The pickings were slim. (I am hilarious!! )

The few grapes that we found were in bunches of 2 or 3 and were usually higher than I could reach. So, J performed many a balancing act to retrieve what we could.

Photobucket

Paige enjoyed collecting the balls of moss.

Photobucket

And poor Brooke had to spend the day in the cheap seats.

Photobucket

When we called it a day, we had only filled about a quarter of the ice chest. After all the grapes were washed and de-leafed (that's the technical term, btw) we ended up with just over 11 lbs!

Photobucket

Next up...my adventures in canning!

No comments: